Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sweet Bayler

If you know me, then you've probably heard me talk about my friend "Teal" from time to time.  Her name is really Brittany, but when we met at Camp Hollymont, there were too many Brittany's so I called her Teal, which is her last name.  Anyway, Teal has been like a sister to me for the past 8 years (oh my gosh, I didn't realize it had been that long).  Her brother and sister-in-law have two little boys, Bayler and Bridges.  Bayler is 7 and Bridges is 5.  If you had to have two little boys that were cute and funny, all in the same family, then you would only wish for these two!
Bayler has been battling a form of cancer for the past two years, called Neuroblastoma.  And for the past two years, we've been following this battle through CaringBridge updates, texts from Teal, and Facebook updates.  I was driving to work this morning when I received a text update from Teal.  We'd known for a couple of weeks now that the doctors felt like there was really nothing else to do, as the cancer had spread too much to treat.  At that point, the status was that the family would try to keep Bayler as comfortable as possible. Well, this morning's text was an answer to the Teal Family prayers for mercy.  Bayler was taken to Children's Hospital around 3am, and they are giving him morphine to keep him comfortable until the time that the Lord decides to take him home.
I immediately called Teal to offer my prayers, a shoulder, anything.  But what do you say in a situation like this?  I wrestled with the Lord the rest of my commute- "Lord, why do things like this have to happen to children?  There are people in this world who are bad, but Bayler is not one of those people."  However, I am reminded that Bayler has affected more people, touched their lives, and probably brought some to Christ in the past two years- probably more than I have done in my lifetime!  I know that the Lord has a plan, and that He is sovereign.  I may not understand what I see today as unfair, but one day, when I see Bayler in Heaven, I'm sure it'll all be made clear. 
Teal said that Bridges looked at Bayler the other day and said, "Bayler, you do know that when you get to Heaven, you'll still be able to watch wrestling there right?"  Bayler said, "Yeah, I know."  If we could all have such child-like faith... that's what I pray for.  So, please keep the Teal family in your prayers.  Bayler's parents' names are Rob and Risha.  I will be praying for peace and comfort, and for God to show Himself in an even mightier way this week to Bayler, Rob, and Risha.

You can view Bayler's Caring Bridge site here:  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/baylerteal

No comments: