Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Humble pie

So, my friend Julie had this post on her blog about wrestling with humility.  She asked if anyone else wrestled with it, so I thought I should post a blog on my WWF wrestling with humility.  Let's just say that it's of course not in my nature to be humble.  I mean, let's face the facts here- I AM WONDERFUL!  No, really- humility is a hard lesson to learn.  So, while reading Julie's post, I started asking myself, "Where has the Lord taught me humility lately?"  And I immediately thought of this one lady who I'll call Stacy.  Stacy is a regular donor for the company that I work for.  She calls me every month- she says I'm her buddy.  At first she called to sign up to become a monthly donor, and then the next month she called to change her bank account number, and then the next month it happened again, and again, until she finally just cancelled the monthly donations.  I was starting to think that she was stealing bank account numbers every month, because it just seemed a little too ironic for her to change the information EVERY month.  Well, I get tickled everytime she calls because:
A.  She has the greatest accent ever.  She sounds like Barbara in Funny Girl.
B.  The way she says her name just cracks me up.  She repeats her first name twice and then 
      says her last name.
Let's just face the facts here.  I was tickled by Stacy's calls, but they were starting to get a little annoying.  I mean, how many times can one woman change bank accounts?
Then it happened.  She left me six voicemails in one day- progressively letting me know throughout these voicemails that she was in the hospital.  I had no idea why, but she just kept calling.  Then she called and I was able to answer my phone.  It turned out that her sisters and niece "are very jealous, and I cut them off, and they committed me to the 7th floor."  I didn't have the heart to ask her what the 7th floor was, but anything with the words commit and hospital- can't be good.
So, then I thought, well she's just losing it- and then Cindy reminded me that I should really be praying for this woman.  And it hit me.  Who am I?  What, am I perfect Kay who never does anything wrong, or who never acts in a way that makes others think I'm crazy?  Am I so perfect that I have a right to disrespect this woman with my words?  No!  I am pond scum.  And no matter what is going on with this woman, she deserves my utmost respect.  
So, I've been eating humble pie on that one lately.  God is showing me compassion through this woman in ways that I never thought I'd see it.  It's awesome.
So there- Julie- you're not alone.  I'm the first to admit that I think I'm great, and then I sit for a minute and remember that I'm nothing at all without Christ.

1 comment:

Julie Abel said...

Every time the Lord teaching me something like this I say in my head "Dang it!!!" What a wonderful example of how He "molds us" to his image. I would love to see what Jesus would have done with this lady. Kay you are a gem!