Monday, April 21, 2014

My Life According to Pixar

My name is Kay, and my favorite songs right now are from Pixar movie soundtracks. I am not ashamed. My son is pretty heavily into Cars and Planes right now (the movies... I'm too lazy to google how I'm supposed to technically lay out the titles. Is it italics, underline, quotation marks... like I said... moving on)

Anyway, on my commute today, while I was jamming out to a Planes song by myself without my 3 year old, I started thinking about how much I love Pixar movies. I mean, these movies are teaching lessons, people! Take the Toy Story trilogy, for example. In the first movie, I learned that true friends can end up being the people you can't stand when you first meet them. Once you can get over your insecurities, people can actually be really cool. The second movie taught me to fear anyone in a chicken suit- they're just weird. And in the third, I learned that there are "Lotso" people in the world who are cruel, but most of the time it's because they've been labeled as replaceable, so it's really just a defense mechanism. Some of them never get past it though... but that's no reason not to love them anyway.

Or you could look at Wall-e. That little guy.. what a sweetheart. But that movie showed me that I better take care of my environment and be cautious to not end up as a fatty in a portable recliner (as tempting as that last part sounds).

What about Up, y'all? My gosh, Pixar. Rip out my heart and show it to me, why don't you. Lesson learned... never fall in love and have dreams together, because one day you'll be old and want to fulfill them, but it'll be annoying because you'll have a little chatty boyscout, a talking dog, and a freak of a bird who you'll feel obligated to protect because you're that kind of decent human. Yeah, just stay home, and go to "the home." You can still mess with people at "the home" and start your own prank show with Betty White.

Then there's Cars... a personal fave of mine right now. There's a part of all of us that thinks we're "too good" for the Maters of the world. And Radiator Springs? Fugget about it - too good for that. Problem is, the Radiator Springs Maters of the world are THE coolest people on the planet. And we're not too good for them. They're too good for us. We would be blessed beyond measure to find ourselves in their company. Plus, life is so much more fun when you have a Mater. The Brad Paisley song during the credits says,

We go through life
So sure of where we're headin'
And then we wind up lost
And it's the best thing that could have happened
'Cause sometimes when you lose your way
It's really just as well
Because you find yourself
Yeah, that's when you find yourself

Even though I sometimes wonder if I'll ever like "adult things" like responsibility, being on time, or planning for the future, I am really enjoying living vicariously through JM's phases, but seeing them with adult lenses. I'm learning the most valuable things that way. What about you? What have you learned from an unlikely source lately?

No comments: